Amid recalls and warnings of tainted hand sanitizers from the Food and Drug Administration, 15 adults in the United States have been hospitalized for methanol poisoning, according to the CDC. Methanol, also known as wood alcohol, is a toxic chemical that can lead to hospitalization or death if ingested. All of the people hospitalized reported having ingested hand sanitizer, and all of the cases were confirmed with blood tests. Of the 15 people who were hospitalized, four died, according to the CDC. Another three developed vision problems, a side effect of methanol poisoning.